Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Day One

Is it typical to have a preference for a font? If so, why is that? One of my "team members" (read: co worker who has more authority than me) prefers the generic Times New Roman. I am partial to Georgia, but then there are those strange people from accounting who type everything in that obnoxious Courier. Don't you want to look like you've progressed from typewriters?

Either way.

In my second week at my fourth place of internship employment, I've come to the conclusion that every industry has a preferred font. For public relations, it happens to be Arial, size 11. That's actually quoted in my useless "welcome packet" for interns. It's recently updated to tell me absolutely nothing.

The EVP, who in any other world would be called a Manager, told me on my first day that if I had any questions, I shouldn't hesitate to look in the guide. I skimmed through it.

The contents:
- 5 Big Do's and Don'ts (things a 5 year old knows)
- Introduction to said PR Agency (rules before the introduction, clever.)
- Intern Responsibilities and Opportunities (how many hours I must work and who I report to, good to know)

Skimming down, there are things like "how to address a letter" (do people who read that page actually get hired here?), and "sexual harassment policy." Perfect, all my questions have been answered.

"Remember," he says, walking out of my cubicle (I have a cubicle here, I'm imbibed with a false sense of importance), "there are no stupid questions--only stupid people."

Excellent.

- The Intern


No comments: